Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tech Tuesday Archive 19

Good afternoon everybody,

I know you've missed the updates! Next week I'm determined to get you some good info on an actual Tuesday.  However, the delay this week brings with it a teachable moment.  I was all set yesterday afternoon to send you a Tech Tuesday email when I suddenly had to deal with fraudulent activity on my checking account.  All is fine now and it only took a measly 3 hours of phone calls to get it sorted out yesterday...  I just thought it was important to remind you all to carefully pick your passwords and change them once in a while.  If you are like me, you get really annoyed at having to remember every different password for every different website "Is this the one I have to start with a capital letter? Does this one need 8 characters? Do I have to do the hokey pokey in the webcam before I can log on to this website??" There is definitely a point to these exercises as there are, unfortunately, people out there looking to steal your money or identity.  Here are a couple resources for you:

-Lastpass.com stores all of your passwords and can generate highly secure passwords for you.  You can use the site to access several sites and it is secure.  This one is new to me, but recommended to me from a highly reliable source.  

-Check out this article about changing your passwords - It made the rounds on Facebook last summer and stuck with me - a great story even if you don't want to change any of your passwords.  There are a few swear words, FYI:

Some other tips:

-Google classroom now allows you to customize your classroom settings even further.  They've added more options (I'm particularly excited to have a picture of the digestive tract greeting my honors bio students) and you can upload your own pictures as the background for your class.

-The mobile app has increased how much students can share to assignment submissions.  Something that was brought to my attention, however, is that students with Android phones are having trouble accessing classroom/drive/docs from their phones due to the school domain and their phone being a google device.  IPhone users don't seem to have any issues :)

-Several of you have asked me if 2 teachers can be in charge of a single class on classroom.  The answer is no but this seems to be the most requested feature on Classroom.  If this pertains to you, I encourage you to click the question mark on the bottom right side of the classroom site and put in the request to Google.  They have been very responsive to the feedback they are receiving and I am sure they will bring this feature soon.

That's it - as always, if you have any feedback or need any help, let me know!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment